Thursday, January 8, 2009

[sad emoticons]

Yeah. I just wanted to go ahead and clarify something from the 12/31/08 post titled "2009: The Reeee'MMIX'!!!!"

Did everyone get the clever title? See, 'MMIX' is Roman Numeral for '2009'. No one acknowledged it, and, I don't know, ever since late-2008 I've been feeling kind of blue about it. It's like, why do I bother developing these high-concept wordplays if my readership is just going to gloss right over them? I guess now I know how James Joyce feels. I should text him.

Could I have just put one "M" and solely relied on the topical pop-culture reference to all those really, really good songs that start with a clearly-educated gentleman bellowing "reeeeeeemixxxx!" Sure I could have. But don't you think I would have spelled it with seven e's and four x's, and not four e's and one x, if that's what I was going for? And what about the apostrophes? Were they there for my health? No. No apostrophe has ever been there for someone's health. That I'm aware of.

I just get down sometimes. Is it your fault? I guess so, yeah, but look - this time around, let's share in the blame. From now on, if there's a postmodern meta-gag somewhere in a post that I really want you to experience, I'll italicize the f-word out of it. That should be plain as day.

I feel better. You guys are okay, let's go to Red Lobster.

2 comments:

  1. don't let our collective silence imply ignorance. i don't ever recall Andy Kaufman saying, "wait, you guys know i'm kidding here, right? this is all staged. i can't believe i have to explain this to you people."

    continue dropping subtle gems. it will kill with 12-15% of your audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what about the magazine Men's Health? that uses a health-oriented apostrophe, no?

    ReplyDelete